Veeam announced today that their #1 VMware Backup for VMware is coming to Hyper-V in Veeam Backup and Replication version 6.
While not all the Veeam Backup functionality present in the VMware version will be present for Hyper-V, Veeam is bringing these important backup technologies to the Hyper-V platform:
– Both Backup and Replication in One Product.
- File Level Recovery (FLR). The ability to pull individual files from an image based backup to avoid the need for agents.
– A Hyper-V implementation of Change Block Tracking (CBT) to allow Veeam to only backup only the blocks that have changed in the VM. Veeam had CBT even before VMware had an official API for it, so I assume they are leveraging that investment to bring that to HYPER-V.
- Compression and De-Duplication.
- Support for the Free Hyper-V (System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) is not required.)
Veeam Backup & Replication v6 is slated to be released in Q4 2011. Note that the v6 release will have a lot of new features for VMware customers as well, Veeam is supporting multiple hypervisors like many virtualization ISV’s, and I anticipate they will continue to innovate on both hypervisor platforms.